Our story begins with people
Since our beginning in 1933, Geffen Mesher’s focus has been on supporting the lives, plans and goals of people – those we serve as well as those who call the firm home. We are committed to individuals, a fact that guides us as we support clients through booms and busts, recessions and recoveries, life changes, business dynamics and more.
A graduate of City College of New York, Henry Blauer moved to Portland after serving in the Army during WWII. Soon after arriving in Portland he met Ben Sussman, a CPA with a growing practice. In 1949 Ben and Henry formed a partnership called Sussman & Blauer. Henry quickly became a friend and trusted advisor to many new clients and the business continued to grow.
In the 1960s, Henry hired two young accountants, Stan Geffen and Bob Mesher. Both became partners and the firm became Blauer, Geffen & Mesher. After merging into the national firm of Laventhol & Horwath in 1970, the firm’s Portland office continued to serve clients from 1970 to 1990 as part of this larger firm.
In 1990 the single-office firm of Geffen Mesher was formed and the rest, as they say, is history. Although Henry Blauer passed away in 2012 at the age of 91, both Stan Geffen (Shareholder) and Bob Mesher (Of Counsel) remain active in the firm today. Their many years of hard work, commitment, experience and expertise have truly laid the foundation for our firm.
Values beyond numbers
We know that the quality of our professional tax, financial consulting and reporting services affects the lives and financial well-being of those we serve. Therefore, we work from a set of values that point back to the people-side of the equation, including the following:
- Work with integrity and strong ethical values;
- Communicate directly, openly and honestly with clients, partners and colleagues;
- Commit to forming long-term client and staff relationships, remembering that strong referrals and lasting relationships spur our success;
- Provide quality services and expert solutions across the many industries we serve;
- Seek continuous professional and personal growth, from certifications and specialties in emerging industries to volunteer work and involvement with community and grassroots organizations;
- Foster a fun, collegial, committed and active environment where team members can expand upon their strengths, express their vision for success, and remain committed to the success of one another;
- Remain innovative, flexible and creative in our approach to solving the challenges our clients face; and
- Exemplify a strong work ethic that nonetheless keeps in perspective the importance of a balanced work/life relationship.